How to eat your way to losing 10 pounds in just two weeks
The main GOAL of IF is to allow insulin levels to go down (long enough) in order to burn fat. Therefore the weight will shed.
When we do not eat (during the fasting mode), insulin levels fall. The body receives signals to release stored sugar from our fat cells, to be used as energy.
Types of Intermittent fasting
There are many ways to do intermittent fasting. We are sharing 5 popular IF plans with you. Some of them are easier than others but they come with great benefits.
You should choose the one that suits best your lifestyle.
This fasting method allows an eating period of 8hours and a fasting period of 16 hours. It might seem like it’s too much but mind you that sleeping time is included in those 16 hours.
– Of course, I close to impossible to eat when sleeping
Please see the infographic below for representation.
Go at your own paste. As a beginner, you can adapt your eating and fasting window accordingly. It is preferable if you go for 12hour fast or more.
5:2 Diet (Fast Diet):
Instead of completely ceasing to eat food during any set fasting window, you just drastically limit your calories during a period of time.
During the week, EAT normally for 5 days. You should calculate the number of calories your body needs in order to maintain your current weight. This is just to make sure that you are not overeating.
For 2 days restrict your calorie intake to 500-600 calories. Those 2 days should not be consecutive.
This intermittent fasting schedule is actually a hybrid plan, where you can pick either the 16/8 method, a 12 hour fast, or a 20- hour fast. FAST every other day (by eating nothing or only a few hundred calories).
Here is an example (you can start on any given day):
- Mon: 16h fast/ 8h Eating
- Tues: f.a.s.t.i.n.g.
- Wed: 16h fast/ 8h Eating
- Thu: f.a.s.t.i.n.g.
- Fri: 16h fast/ 8h Eating
- Sat: f.a.s.t.i.n.g.
- Sun: 16h fast/ 8h Eating
- Mon: f.a.s.t.i.n.g.
This IF method is kind of similar to the 5:2 diet with a little tweak. You FAST for 24-hour twice a WEEK and for the remaining days, you eat normally.
The Warrior Diet:
There is an eating pattern where you under-eat for 20 hours per day. You consume very small amounts of vegetables & fruits during the day (if any at all) & have one big meal at night.
Typically, one would, for example, have their last meal at 8 pm then have their next meal at 4 pm the next day with an eating window of 4-8 pm.
The Warrior Diet also encourages a focus on high-intensity interval training (HIIT) and a diet of unprocessed foods.
Health effects of intermittent fasting:
- Promotes weight loss
- Increases insulin sensitivity
- Reduces the risk of:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Decreases triglyceride levels
WHO SHOULD DO INTERMITTENT FASTING?
Those who are Prediabetic: studies suggest intermittent fasting increases beta-cell responsiveness and decreases insulin resistance.
Those who are Obese: studies suggest that intermittent fasting contributes to reducing body weight and visceral fat mass by reducing total and LDL cholesterol over a 24-week clinical trial.
WHO SHOULDN’T DO INTERMITTENT FASTING?
The Elderly: studies suggest intermittent fasting weakens the immune system (lowers lymphocyte counts) of the elderly far more than in young adults.
Pregnant women: studies suggest that intermittent fasting negatively impacts fertility as seen in pregnant rats due to nutritional deficits
HOW TO LOSE THE MOST AMOUNT OF WEIGHT QUICKLY WITH IF?
- Losing 10 pounds is equivalent to losing 4.5 kg.
- 1 pound of fat equals 3500 calories
- An adult consumes around 1600-2000 calories a day.
For maximal results, it is best to combine this diet with exercise and/or keto diet!
A friend of mine was on the keto diet only for 2 weeks and she lost 10 pounds! ( That’s right, 10 pounds !). She was not exercising much but solely following the ketogenic diet for the most part ( and she was not being as strict as the true keto diet. She was eating things such as avocado, mayonnaise, chicken and etc…)
Can you imagine what results she would have got if she had combined intermittent fasting with exercise and keto?
Ketogenic is a diet consisting of high fat, low carb and moderate amounts of protein. The idea is that you do not want to provide too many carbohydrates to your body so that you can put it in a state where it starts using the fat in your body as fuel as opposed to glucose from what you ingest (resulting in weight loss!).
Exercising before eating is the best thing to do on keto because your body metabolizes more fat and you turn into a fat-burning machine (*whispering* That is what we all want)
Combining the three (IF+ Exercise + Keto) would look like this:
The Warrior diet with an eating (Keto diet) period of 4-8 pm and fasting for the rest of the time, exercising at 12 pm (noon) and repeating the same thing the next day.
I promise you will notice a significant difference in at least 2-3 days. You will definitely shed those 10 pounds.
- Kumar, S., & Kaur, G. (2013).
- Mattson, M. P., Longo, V. D., & Harvie, M. (2016)
- M.C. Klempel, C.M. Kroeger, S. Bhutani, J.F. Trepanowski, K.A. VaradyIntermittent fasting combined with calorie restriction is effective for weight loss and cardio-protection in obese womenNutr J, 11 (2012), p. 98
- Stéphane Walrand, Karine Moreau, Florence Caldefie, Arlette Tridon, Jacques Chassagne, Geneviève Portefaix, Luc Cynober, Bernard Beaufrère, Marie-Paule Vasson, Yves Boirie; Specific and nonspecific immune responses to fasting and refeeding differ in healthy young adult andelderly persons, The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Volume 74, Issue 5, 1 November 2001, Pages 670–678, https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/74.5.670“6 Popular Ways to do Intermittent Fasting.” Healthline, Healthline Media, www. healthline.com/nutrition/6-ways-to-do-intermittent-fasting.
- Sutton, E. F., Beyl, R., Early, K. S., Celafu, W.T., Ravussin, E., & Peterson, C.M. (2018). Early Time-Restricted Feeding Improves Insulin Sensitivity, Blood Pressure, and Oxidative Stress Even without Weight Loss in Men with Prediabetes. Cell Metabolism, 27(6), 1212-1221.)